Back in September Jay's sister, Deb, was in town for work, and she got a few extra days to stay and play with us. It wasn't the most exciting trip for her since Jack was in school and we didn't get to do many fun things, but we did manage to go for a hike. We tried to hike to a waterfall, but didn't make it. Here's why...
I found out about it on a website and it mentioned that on Tuesdays the road that puts you at the trailhead is closed, but if you park in the residential area, it only adds 1/2 mile to the 1.75 mile roundtrip hike to the waterfall. I figured we would be safe hiking about 3 miles that day.
Instead, the hike from the residential area to the trail head was 2 miles- one way. And the trail to get to the trailhead was ridiculous, especially with Jack and Claire. I had read that it was an easy hike for kids, so we didn't bring the hiking backpack for Jack, but then he would only walk a short way before wanting to be carried.
We were all pretty tired and weren't sure where the waterfall was exactly so we stopped for lunch and headed back to the car instead of going all the way. Truth be told, I was really bugged. I had read on Yelp from two or three reviews that this was an easy, flat hike for kids and that the extra hike from the residential area was very short. In reality, we ended up hiking about 5 miles (while carrying Jack and making sure he didn't fall down the hill) and there were a few places that weren't very kid friendly.
It was still beautiful and we had a good time, so it wasn't a total loss. Maybe someday we'll go when the road is open and actually make it to the waterfall.
I found out about it on a website and it mentioned that on Tuesdays the road that puts you at the trailhead is closed, but if you park in the residential area, it only adds 1/2 mile to the 1.75 mile roundtrip hike to the waterfall. I figured we would be safe hiking about 3 miles that day.
Instead, the hike from the residential area to the trail head was 2 miles- one way. And the trail to get to the trailhead was ridiculous, especially with Jack and Claire. I had read that it was an easy hike for kids, so we didn't bring the hiking backpack for Jack, but then he would only walk a short way before wanting to be carried.
We were all pretty tired and weren't sure where the waterfall was exactly so we stopped for lunch and headed back to the car instead of going all the way. Truth be told, I was really bugged. I had read on Yelp from two or three reviews that this was an easy, flat hike for kids and that the extra hike from the residential area was very short. In reality, we ended up hiking about 5 miles (while carrying Jack and making sure he didn't fall down the hill) and there were a few places that weren't very kid friendly.
It was still beautiful and we had a good time, so it wasn't a total loss. Maybe someday we'll go when the road is open and actually make it to the waterfall.
Comments